Effective Date: 27th June 2016
We hope you get as much enjoyment as possible out of the GardenTags services. To enable you to do this it is important that we all know where we stand when it comes to the collection, use, sharing and protection of your personal data. This policy explains how we go about doing this, however, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us and we'll be happy to help out where we can.
We receive your personal information through a variety of means including our mobile app through to our website www.gardentags.com. Collectively we call these our "Services".
By using our Services you understand and agree that we are providing a platform for you to post content including but not limited to photos, comments and plant information that we share publicly. As such you consent to the collection, storage, transmission, transfer, adaptation, publication of your information and other uses as described in this Policy.
We may change this Policy from time to time. You should check this Policy occasionally to ensure you are aware of the most recent version that will apply each time you access our Services. They'll always be an 'effective date' so you can see the most up to date version. Your continued use of our Services after any change of this Policy will constitute your acceptance of such modification.
Information we collect
When you register
Some of the information you provide during registration will be publicly available to other users of our Services. This will include your username, name, profile picture, information you supplied in your Bio and the area in which you are located (we never share your exact location). This information will also be publicly available on the GardenTags website to all users and nonusers of our Services.
When you use our Services
When you use our Services we collect more detailed information on you based on how you use our Services and interact with other members. There is information you provide directly to us and information we collect when you use our Services.
The content you provide to us directly is as follows:
- User content - garden and plant photos you upload, comments you make, task information, your contributions to the plant database, people you are following, photos you like, photos and comments you tag, people who are following you and people you invite via Invite Friends, and any other information you choose to make public.
- Updated profile information - you may update your profile information at any time after registration, including your Bio. This information allows you to be found by other users of our Services.
- Communications between you and us. For example, we may send you service emails (e.g. informing you of updates to our Services, password reminders and so on). You may not opt out of these service emails. We will also send you emails to notify you when there is activity on your account (e.g. when someone likes a post of yours, follows you, identifies a plant for you and so on) and we may make recommendations (e.g. who to follow, what's trending and so on) by email. You can opt out of these emails in the 'profile' section of the app in 'settings' > 'email subscriptions'. We will also send you a weekly newsletter containing gardening tips, information on trending content and so on. You may also opt out of these communications in 'email subscriptions' in the profile section of the app.
- Find Friends - this feature allows you to find friends that are using our Services. We can locate your friends through (i) your contacts list on your device - in this instance we will access your device to look for users (ii) third party social media sites such as Facebook - in this instance we will request you link your account to the social media site in doing so you understand that that the information you provide via this method is governed by this Policy (iii) through a simple name and username search on www.gardentags.com.
- Invite Friends - this works in a similar way to Find Friends. In this instance it will send them a message either via email, SMS or a Facebook request to join. Please note that you are responsible for any charges that apply to these communications. By selecting ‘Invite’ a friend you also confirm that you have the consent of the person whose details you are supplying. Please also be aware that we will let your invited friends know on the invite that you supplied his or her contact details.
The information you provide to us indirectly is as follows:
- Service analytics tools - we use third party analytics tools to help us measure general trends and traffic to our Services. These tools collect information from your device and/or our Services. These tools allow us to improve the user experience and enhance our Services wherever possible. We cannot identify any particular user from the use of these tools.
- Log files - a log file information is automatically generated and reported to us every time you use our Services e.g. if you upload a new garden photo. Our servers collect this log file information. The types of information logged include your IP (Internet Protocol) address, browser type, page requested, how you entered and exited the app or website and what pages and actions you carried out whilst using our Services. When we send you an email we may also log if you opened the email and what links you clicked on in the email. We will also log what information you contributed to our gardening database.
- Identifying your device - as our Services include a mobile application it's important we understand from which device you are accessing our Services. To enable us to do this we may access, collect, monitor and store device identifiers on your device. The device identifier may deliver information to us about how you use our Services. This information will allow us to improve our Services and better personalise your experience of them.
- Meta data - this is information that is associated with content which can either be added by us and/or users e.g. a hash tag which is added to a photo or piece of content that you publish. In the instance of a hash tag it makes your content more searchable by other users. It is also possible for us to add geo related meta data that enables other users to search for the location of the content. Please note that we never publish your exact location.
Please also note that content you share using our Services may be available to third parties who use our application programming interface (“API”). The use of our API by third parties is subject to this Policy.
When you use our Services, we collect and process information about your actual location. This enables us and our partners to make location specific recommendations to you and to other users. We will not reveal your postal address but your location within a 30 mile radius of it.
Be mindful that what you share, even if deleted, may still remain viewable and if shared outside our Services and/or via our API it may still appear. Content shared or collected by our Services will also appear on those parts of our website which are publicly accessible for example your profile picture, bio and any comments or photos you post.
We shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any loss or damage resulting from content posted using our Services and you are responsible for displaying the personal data of any other person.
How we use your information
We've let you know what information we collect, and given examples illustrating how we may use it. Here's a little more detail on how we may use your information.
- To allow you to access your information after you have signed into our Services.
- To personalise the experience you have when using our Services. This could be recommended gardeners to follow, planting suggestions and targeting deals, offers, promotions, events and ads.
- To make enhancements that improve how your experience of our Services.
- To update our Services on your device.
- To develop and test new products and services.
- For marketing purposes (see below).
- To help make fixes when things go wrong with any of our Services (hopefully not too often).
- For general administration purposes.
- For research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis.
- To notify you of any changes to our Services that may affect you.
Sharing your information
We will not sell or rent out your information to third parties outside of our group of entities without your consent. The exceptions to this are listed below:
- To other entities from time to time within our group.
- To third parties who help us provide our Services to you. These third parties will only be sent information that is reasonably necessary to perform services to us e.g. Google analytics.
- To third party partners to target you with relevant products and services within the Services (see below).
- To third party advertising partners in respect of cookie data only. This information will enable third party advertising networks to deliver targeted advertising that we believe will be relevant to you.
- To third parties in an anonymised form.
- To find people with similar tastes and interests to you on other social and advertising networks e.g. Facebook and invite them to join GardenTags.
- To law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity.
If you have given permission, we or our partners may contact you by push notification, email, telephone, SMS or social media message about products, services, promotions, special offers, charitable causes that may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive any direct marketing communications from us or our partners, you can opt out at any time (see “Your rights” below). Please note that any content you voluntarily share using our Services is made available to the public and can be re-shared, searched for and posted on other platforms such as Facebook which are outside our control.
How we keep your information secure
We use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by a password and user name that are unique to you; and
- we store your personal data on secure servers.
While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via our Services.
How long we keep your information
Following deactivation or termination of your account we and third party partners may keep your information for a commercially reasonable period to allow us to back up, audit and archive.
Transferring your information outside EEA
In using our Services, you agree that we may transfer your personal data to countries outside the European Economic Area including to those designated as ‘adequate by the Information Commissioner in Jersey. Rest assured that we will always ensure any transfer is subject to appropriate security measures to safeguard your personal data.
Personal information relating to minors
Protecting the online privacy of children is especially important. If you are under 16 years old, please do not provide us with your name, contact details or any other information about yourself.
Links to other websites
Our Services contain links to other websites. Obviously, we don't have any control over them and take no responsibility for any information you give them.
You have the right, subject to the payment of a small fee (currently £10), to request access to personal data that we may process about you. If you wish to exercise this right, you should:
- put your request in writing;
- include proof of your identity and address (eg a copy of your driving licence or passport, and a recent utility or credit card bill);
- attach a cheque in the amount of £10 made payable to [4D Media Limited]; and
- specify the personal data you want access to, including any account or reference numbers where applicable.
You have the right to require us to correct any inaccuracies in your data free of charge. If you wish to exercise this right, you should:
- put your request in writing;
- provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. user name, registration details); and
- specify the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
You also have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. If you wish to exercise this right, you should:
- put your request in writing (an email sent to [insert address] with a header that says 'Unsubscribe' is acceptable);
- provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. user name, registration details); and
- if your objection is not to direct marketing in general, but to direct marketing by a particular channel (e.g. email or telephone), please specify the channel you are objecting to.